View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
BonnieR

Barb, it might be just as well that your sister is not on the computer right now. Sometimes one can feel bombarded with information and it is so much to process. It is wonderful that you are providing her this service. You can always trust the American Cancer Society or other established groups to give you information you can trust. They will talk to her on the phone too.
It's always a good idea for newly diagnosed people to have someone with them when they are in this decision making phase because we don't always "hear" everything being said nor think of all the things to ask. So it really helps to have an advocate in our corner. You can help her make lists.
As suggested, another opinion is always a very good idea. Big decisions are involved.
I believe that the standard of care is that Herceptin is best administered with chemo. I was offered to receive it solo but that is not often done. And I opted to do the whole enchilada. I had 4 doses of THC. Most receive 6.
Keep us posted and ask whatever you'd like. Someone here will have had the same experience.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote