View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
sarah

Re: Radiation Advice?

Hello Deb,
the cream that usually works, didn't for me so I had to change creams. My sternum area was also irradiated and one night I woke up thinking I was on fire, luckily my husband suffers from GERD (acid reflux) and quickly brought me a bottle of Maalox and told me to gulp some down. I did and it calmed it down. The next day the radiologist gave me a prescription for something he felt was stronger. Most people don't have this reaction or as strong radiation as I had but I would suggest having a bottle of Maalox handy just in case. (or something similar) If you've done chemo, this is a walk in the park. Just a drag because it's daily but you'll become friends with the other patients who come daily also. we called ourselves the radiation club and chatted and enjoyed each others company - it helped with the short wait. It's very fast and I could drive myself (unlike with chemo) the 45 minutes to and from home. Don't forget, no cream on before the session, only afterwards and stay out of the sun. You might want to talk to your pharmacist about what's the best cream although Nancy seems to have a good suggestion.
Take care,
Health and Happiness
love sarah

Last edited by sarah; 10-19-2011 at 07:43 AM..
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote