View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #20
Debra

did the double

Hi had them both removed and do not regret it one bit. I was 40. Some would say that is young to lose both if you can save one. I did not want to live the rest of my life "feeling" and "wondering" every single day in the shower or at night if what I thought I was feeling was a lump. I was told that I would greatly reduce my chances of getting it in the other breast. That is all I needed to hear.
Do I miss my breasts? Absolutely I do but I had no choice with the one and weighing the stress everyday with the other waiting to find something wasn't worth it to me.
I have done the reconstruction. My husband bought me a t-shirt that says "Yes they are fake---my real ones tried to kill me".
Now I know not everyone would see the humor in that but one certainly can't argue with that statement either!
Good luck with your decision. For some it is a very tough decision. I have not heard of anyone that has regretted getting them both removed but often hear many regret not getting the other removed.

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote