View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 05:52 AM   #27
Ruth

Re: All clear Mammo and ten years out!

Tricia~ huge huge congratulations!!! Such a big milestone... I was released by my surgeon at 5 years and oncologist at 10. To me it was a relief because I had gigantic anxiety going at that point once a year to the cancer center for the last few years from about 7-10 years. Now it's 2 years after that and I love my internist and feel she gives me all the support and understanding of my occasional worries. My oncologist retired about a year before I was let go and my favorite nurse also retired. I threatened them that they couldn't retire until I was at least past 5 years 😃....I never saw anyone else until the last couple years. My Onc. stepped out of the box with me in treatment as I was not on the Herceptin trial back then since I wasn't quite stage 4 (almost but not quite) but he fought and got me (and my insurance) to cover it. I was the first one not stage 4 for him to treat with Herceptin. We did a lot of out of the box stuff. I love the man dearly and feel he helped in many big ways of saving me. I am not missing at all going back once a year. I found a great Dr and I trust her and trust my body to give me signals of any concerns. I am definitely incredibly more tuned into myself and know when to check on myself.
Congrats again~ it will free you up some mentally but it will always be with you. I spent my 30's with three small kids worried almost daily about tomorrow. Now I can take a breath and realize we are all headed to the same place eventually it's always been our road we take alone and we must make the most if it as best we can.
Hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote