View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
gdpawel

Re: The tyrosine kinase process

From what I remember, dopamine receptor antagonists inhibit the class of receptors that binds dopamine, a hormone and neurotransmitter. Dopamine is an emetic and can induce nausea, hence blocking dopamine receptors is another treatment of controlling chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Domperidone (commercially called Motilium) and metoclopramide (Reglan) are the two main dopamine receptor antagonists used for antiemetic treatment. Here is an excellent review on the pharmacokenetics of dopamine receptor antagonists.

http://www.pharmacorama.com/en/Secti...amines_7_4.php

I know there has been some concern about the potential for significant cardiovascular effects of the newer biologic therapies like the tyrosine kinase inhibitor sunitinib (Sutent). Patients and doctors need to get more information and they need to know the potential side effects down the road (a.k.a. tighter monitoring).

In regards to tyrosine kinase, these are very specific enzymes and therefore specific enzyme inhibitors. Most proteins in the body contain tyrosine. But tyrosine is only phosphorylated by a specific tyrosine kinase. Tyrosine is a very general amino acid. It is present everywhere. There are many, many, many tyrosine kinase inhibitors. The effects of these inhibitors is very specific. Therefore, I would not expect that most of the pharmaceutical tyrosine kinase inhibitors would have any effects at all on the neurotransmitter dopamine.
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote