View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
1rarebird

Re: Vitamin D Test Results

Vicky--You may find it worthwhile to read the recommendations for optimal serum Vitamin D3 levels for different goals as discussed at the NoSurrenderBreastCancer.org site http://www.nosurrenderbreastcancersu...ost?id=4807927 Constantine Kaniklidis recommends for optimal bone health it should be >42 ng/ml; for anti-cancer activity, > 52 ng/ml; and, for relief from amromatase inhibitor therapy side effects, > 66 ng/ml. You have to read through the rationale for these recommendations to see how they were formed. When I read it is seems a person would have to take D3 supplements in increasing amounts and have several blood tests over time to see when the target level is reached. Finding a doctor that will work with you on this is important too.

For me, I am taking 2000 IUs supplement plus the 800 IUs that come with my calcium supplement and my oncologist doesn't have a problem with it. I am expecting my serum vitamin D3 levels to increase from its original 44 ng/ml. closer to the levels for anti-cancer effect. I felt better about this when I read recently that the Canadian health care system is about to change it recommendations for Vitamin D3 supplementation to 2000 IUs.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote