View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #63
marvass

Re: Intrathecal (IT) Herceptin (Trastuzumab) for brain mets (Leptomeningeal Metastase

I would like to clarify the title.
My wife had Leptomeningeal Metastases, that is, many mets on the lining of the brain, the meninges, together with one 2 cm met on this lining. This was begining of last year. However after treating with local radiation and stayed clear for about a year, this developed into many mets inside the brain tissue, 6 at least varying from 6mm to 3mm, and countless others that were just about beginning to be visible. So actually this was no longer Leptomeningeal Metastase but brain tumours. IT herceptin alone is good to treat this in Her2+ and till now (3 months from being diagnosed and started treatment with IT) we had good results. She did no more radiation and no chemo. I have read that some tried it even with triple negative and worked.
I just wish that we had done this at the beginning of the cancer, while taking adjuvent IV herceptin after the masectomy, I'm sure none of this would have happened 3 years later!! She was stage 3, so those of you being stage 3 take my advice, do some IT herceptin shots through lumbar, not just IV, if you can.
Mario
marvass is offline   Reply With Quote