View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #556
Unregistered

Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

I was diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in 2006 with mets to liver. I have been taking Herceptin since May of 2006. I really did not have any bad side effects until this year - I took it once a week and usually just had a headache on the day of treatment and some fatigue. I had been having some bad shoulder and neck pain which is irritated by the use of the port-a-cath so they suggested switching me to the once every 3 week infusion. This really messed things up. I started feeling very tired and each successive treatment my bone and joint pain started getting really bad - it got to the point that my knee would feel like it was going to give out and I could not walk on it the pain was so bad(I am only 35 years old so I should be capable of walking around but I was having to use a cane.) I also had hip and ankle pain on that same side as well as upper back pain. I noticed it would start to lessen as I was nearing the end of the cycle getting ready for the next dose and as soon as I got the next dose it would get really bad again. I called the onc. and they switched me back to the weekly which I have been doing for about 5 weeks now. The symptoms are less severe than the 3 week dose but the knee, ankle and back pain has not gone away it is just not as severe - it does get worse on treatment day and slowly lessens as the week goes by but it is really starting to wear on me. I am thankful for this drug as I would probably be dead without it but taking this drug for over 5 years now is starting to take it's toll. The onc. says I will take it until it stops working or I have heart issues but I am thinking on asking if I can have a short break and see if that helps - I don't know if he will do it or not but a girl can hope right?