View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #541
NanaJoni

Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

I'm in my 9th month of Herceptin - Herceptin only since August 2010. I have to say I don't have much in the way of side effects - but a few annoying things: my nails have gotten extremely thin and they peel and split. I keep a nail strengthener on them and get regular manicures to keep the cuticles neat (it's also a mood booster to get pampered). Since I stopped chemo and went to Herceptin only, my eyelashes have fallen out completely 3 times. Can't do much about that but they come back nice and thick so I won't complain. I usually feel a little tired during the week after tx but napping fixes that nicely. I have started having some really serious problems with gastro/diarrhea though. This started about two months ago. Of course, my onc says it's not the Herceptin but the only other drug I'm on is warfarin which could be part of the problem. The nurse practitioner in my onc's office was very helpful. She thinks my system (stomach, intestines, colon) have just been bombarded by too many chemicals, antiobiotics and other drugs which resulted in all the good and bad bacteria have been whacked. So she put me on a probiotic, an anti-spasmodic and a special diet. I also had a colonoscopy which was good (I don't have to have another one of those for 8 yrs). So not sure what's up - just trying to deal with each thing as it comes up. I really feel better in many ways than I did a year ago before the bc. I've been feeling some dread and sadness as the one-year anniversary of finding a lump and getting a cancer diagnosis is approaching. Don't know whether I'll hide in bed on those two days in March or maybe do a total spa day or lunch with friends. I'm trying to plan on doing the more upbeat positive activities but sometimes things just crash without warning. Just taking it a day at a time.
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote