View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #19
Mary Anne in TX

Re: Side Effects of Ending Herceptin

Hi!
I had the anxiety kick in around 6 - 8 weeks after stopping herceptin. At first I thought it was just fear about being off herceptin and the cancer returning. But the anxiety has remained to this day (9 months later). I've taken one zanax (sp) but am trying to learn to talk myself through the crazy times. Stress just does me in. I no longer think that it is temporary. For someone who used to be at my very best in stressful times, it's the pitts!
I was warned that I would experience lots more arthuritis type aches and pains and I sure have!
But there's good too. My hair is back to years ago (straight and boring, but mine & familiar), my nails are strong & grow like a weed, and finally I'm talking to people again.
It's like someone else lives in my ol' body. But I'm enjoying getting used to no treatments. I stay on alert for any signs, have regular visits every 2 - 3 months, and am getting on with life!
I confess that raising my granddaughter really helps. No time to worry too much around a 10 year old!
Best wishes, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!

Last edited by Mary Anne in TX; 10-05-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote