View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #2
sarah

Re: Radiation repercussions almost 10 years later

Hello Rina
and yes, yes, yes. Like you, many, many years after chemo and radiation I had and still have both heart and lung complications. I have recurring pericarditis (take anti-inflammatories to help that and stop all exercise and carrying heavy things or doing anything strenuous) and fibrosis in the right lung, also had chest pains and a heart attack and they found a collapsed artery and had angioplasty and a stent put in. all this linked to radiation. When I was having the stent put in, I asked the cardiologist that while he was in there, did he see any plaque. He replied "it's not plaque, it's the radiation!" took a moment to point out my tattoos. I had the heart attack and angioplasty about 10 years out! I really suggest that all cancer patients should be followed by a cardiologist. My cancer was on my right side but it was invasive and they irradiated me enough to touch the heart on the left side. The lung is annoying because I find I get out of breath easily. I go to the gym but I have great difficulty doing anything too aerobic or walking up hills. Still better to be here still than under ground.
I carry Natispray with me at all times for chest pain and 2 aspirins which you chew up immediately if you suspect a heart attack.
I was also given an inhaler for the lungs but only use it when I expect to be doing something strenuous or it's very cold.
you're not alone
hugs and love
sarah