Thread: money
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
mrsd

I am just a lurker here usually but this thread is very interesting, and yes we do have excellent health care here in Canada but it is not without faults. For example each province uses it's health care money differently, I live in Nova Scotia and therefore my treatment options available under our government health care system may be different that say someone living in Alberta, for example our province does not cover the drug Avastin and this is currently a hot topic here right now. People who can afford the drug recieve the treatment and those who cannot afford the drug are having to drain savings and rely on community support to help pay for the treatments. Any form of other assistance from the cancer society and numerous others are limited by your income. So yes we do not pay for many many things and are not limited to who will treat us we are not without our faults............ sorry I don't mean to rant but it's just that I get upset by government determining treatment, I would rather be in the care of a doctor. But still very happy to be a Canadian in our strange system. And again sorry I didn't mean to rant but just wanted to point out the not so great points too, and I am amazed everyday when I read the post here how great everyone on this board is and how you all stick together and support each other, as you have been there and done that and you do know what we are going through.......thanks for telling it like it is.
Started AC Chemo Nov 2002, 4 rds
2003 NED
May 2004 reconstuction, saline and later silicone implant
Aug 2006 Dx recurrence, lymph nodes chest/lungs/sternum
Dec 2006 Herceptin q three weeks
May 2007 bone mets to sternum
June 2007 aredia for bone mets
June 2007 radiation to sternum X 5
June 2008 slow progression of lung met, all other mets NED, continue Herceptin, Aredia, add Xeloda
July 08 Stopped Xeloda, severe side effects from the drug, but it did a fantastic job after only 12 days at least 50% reduction
Feb 09 Started Navelbine with herceptin, slight progression in lungs.
July 09 - Nov 09 had a Navelbine holiday...
Nov 09 back to Navelbine, Herception
Feb 10, lungs have improved but 4 small lesions on liver, started Taxol, Herceptin....
Taxol not the magic drug for me
Continuing Herceptin,Aredia,and adding Xeloda once again..reduced dose
mrsd is offline   Reply With Quote