Thread: money
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I swear my husband just told someone recently that H was $15,000 ev 3 wks (inclding bld tests). I know Aranesp is up to $8,000 an injection. My doc, and I, believe Medicare is denying Aranesp to ca patients unless they are under 10 (new rule was under 11, which was under 12 to begin w/) because of the cost! Insur co are following the example. 13-15 is my normal, when I feel best. Yet I have lived in upper 11s w/Aranesp to boost when it drops to mid 11s and it last mnths. My red bld cells are boosted and so am I! Now I am 11.1 and feeling sluggish. I do take my nut/onc guru's supplements for energy and that helps big time. I'd be in bed otherwise. They did tell me last wk that if I spend more than 50% of my time in bed, I'm eligible. Isn't that a great criteria?

Then the nurse whispered that I could buy it in Canada and self-inject. That some do that. Well I can't imagine what that costs but I have no doubt it's not in my ballpark. And, thank goodness, I'm not on Taxotere, when my #s were in the toilet regularly. I could barely speak, my tongue weighed 50 lbs at least. I shuffled vs walked. Kept tripping on my own toes, while leaning on a wall, or Paul's arm. What of the chemo patients who are being ravaged????? SOMEBODY HAS TO FIX THIS.

I know about the scary studies re Aranesp and the like, but still, my onc and I feel it's really all about $$$. I've been on the drug since '98. Works for me. I think the fear tactics are mostly hype! And my onc concurs. Sad. So, it keeps the troops quiet. No one is fussing and protesting, too scared to demand tx for their flagging bld counts. Do we have to be crawling, or in need of a transfusion, dangerously low and prone to all kinds of infection and worse?????? Personally, I'm outraged.

I remember when the Procrit was $800 for the injection. That was astounding. I understand the need to stand up to the ?drug co's, the ?cancer center's, ridiculously rising charges, but meanwhile the ca patient in falling through the crack in the floor! At least I can keep on getting my Vit H w/o protest since '98. That is huge. And I treasure my insurance card, believe me. I don't leave the house w/o it! That + my driver's license, 2 credit cards and a $50 bill are my essentials. Oh, and some tissues. I have a YOU NEVER KNOW mentality, w/spares of everything. Wish I'd stockpiled Aranesp.

Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote