View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Unregistered

Re: Tykerb...Foods to Avoid?

Hi Anne - I haven't been on line for a few days, and just now saw your post. I am glad my post encouraged you, and you WILL be able to eat better!

Just as a note, I would really avoid coffee. (Unfortunately for me, my favorite beverage.) Coffee is just one of those things that makes you go, go, go.

Anything that changes or challenges the osmolytic factors of your gut should be avoided. Anything that pulls H20 into your intestines is going to be a problem, which is why I have avoided salt at all cost. Even things like low sodium soy sauce can be disasterous. Milk products, which are hard to digest are problematic too. And, unfortunately, chocolate deserts too.

So that I don't feel totally deprived, I have gotten in the habit of buying or making a cup of coffee and limiting myself to 1/4 cup, and having something to eat with it. Then add in your Imodium chaser and you should be OK. I only do this on days I am home.

I did find that a great desert is coconut ice "cream". There are a couple on the market, and they are very rich, but really good.

Basically, I would start with a diet appropriate for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, because a lot of the symptoms are the same - then branch out. It took me weeks, but I am able to eat greens and healthy food in moderation.

Good luck and avoid the salt!

Alison