View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #162
R.B.

Canola

I posted this in response to another post, but felt it was sufficiently important to post here too.

I reiterate this is a ? and no more. I have seen many trials that suggest benefits of canola. Everything is about balance and choice.

I went on a canola hunt based on a caveat I read by Mary G. Enig, PhD is an expert of international renown in the field of lipid biochemistry. "It's true that these oils provide omega-3 fatty acids but there are other things wrong with them. Hemp oil contains the active ingredients of marijuana and these cannabinoids can show up in the urine of people who consume hemp oil. Supposedly heart-healthy canola oil causes unfavorable changes in blood lipids, vitamin E deficiencies and heart lesions in test animals." http://www.westonaprice.org/bookreviews/smartfats.html

These trials were on the basis of canola as a sole source. I have not seen the full report.

I have seen many trials showing benefits with canola.

There is no explanation as to why.

I just have to leave you with with a ? I highlight the "supposedly" as it may be Mary Enig is doing the same thing.

1: Toxicology. 2000 May 5;146(2-3):197-208.Links
Dietary intake of rapeseed oil or soybean oil as the only fat nutrient in spontaneously hypertensive rats and Wistar Kyoto rats - blood pressure and pathophysiology.
Naito Y, Yoshida H, Nagata T, Tanaka A, Ono H, Ohara N.

Department of Pharmacology, Hatano Research Institute, Food and Drug Safety Center, Ochiai 729-5, Hadano, Kanagawa, Japan.

Spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR) and Wistar Kyoto (WKY) rats were fed a diet containing 10% rapeseed (canola) oil or soybean oil as dietary fat, and given drinking water containing 1% NaCl for 26 weeks. From the 10th week and later, systolic blood pressure in the canola oil group became higher than that in the soybean oil group in each strain. The 26-week feeding of canola oil increased plasma lipids and the neutrophil counts, and decreased the platelet counts. In the canola oil group the heart and kidney tended to become heavier with sporadically found histologic lesions. Acetylcholine- and nitroprusside-induced dilating responses of isolated aortic rings and norepinephrine- and veratridine-induced increases in vascular tone of isolated perfused mesenteric arteries were not different between the two groups in each strain. These results demonstrate that canola oil intake as the only dietary fat elevates blood pressure of the rat provided with drinking water containing 1% NaCl through mechanisms other than blunt dilating response of the blood vessel due to dysfunction of the endothelium or vascular smooth muscle, the augmented response to norepinephrine in the arteries and the increased amount of norepinephrine in the sympathetic nerve endings. The lesions in the heart and kidney in SHR may be related to a strain-specific peripheral vascular deterioration which was disclosed by the extremely high blood pressure in the canola oil group.

PMID: 10814852 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Related Links

* Thirteen-week dietary intake of rapeseed oil or soybean oil as the only dietary fat in Wistar Kyoto rats-change in blood pressure. [Food Chem Toxicol. 2000]
* Rapeseed oil ingestion and exacerbation of hypertension-related conditions in stroke prone spontaneously hypertensive rats. [Toxicology. 2003]
* Increase in blood pressure with enhanced Na+, K+ -ATPase activity in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats after 4-weeks intake of rapeseed oil as the sole dietary fat. [Pharmacol Toxicol. 2000]
* Changes of blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive rats dependent on the quantity and quality of fat intake. [Biomed Biochim Acta. 1985]
* Effects of long-term intake of edible oils on hypertension and myocardial and aortic remodelling in spontaneously hypertensive rats.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote