View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
LuckyLinda

Re: support for foregoing radiation?

So grateful for this post from JillaryJill. Glad to hear that radiation was "a breeze." Like you, I am a natural redhead and have pale, freckled skin. The radiologist told me that some of the people who have the lightest skin and seem most likely to burn surprise her by doing really well. I hope I'm on of those! I had a right-side only, skin-sparing mastectomy in Dec. with immediate reconstuction with an expander. At the time, both my plastic surgeon and I were under the impression that I would not require rads. I found out that I would need rads about a month into chemotherapy treatment (one positive node was as large as the primary tumor and had escaped the capsule). I was an A cup my entire life (except when I was breastfeeding). It didn't bother me or my husband. I just wore a great-looking padded bra. To allow for skin contraction, my plastic surgeon has over-expanded my right breast, which is now easily a C-cup (D???) and is as hard and round as a newborn baby's head. I thought I was going to have to put up with this all through radiation. I will be meeting with my radiologist and getting my CTscan on Wednesday and will be sure to ask about draining it down! I would be thrilled to have two breasts that are closer in size to each other! You have given me hope and encouragement. Four months after radiation for the implant surgery sounds w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l! I can do that! I have a wedding to attend in Italy on 1/01/13 and I will finish with Herceptin on 12/28/12. I'm looking forward to attending this wedding and celebrating the new year in style!
R side modified radical mastectomy on 12/09/11 with immediate reconstruction (expander)
Stage IIB 2 nodes + out of 10 removed
Double power port inserted 1/11/12
Chemo therapy (TCH) - every 21 days for 6 cycles beginning 1/25/12
Finished chemo on 5/21/12
Continue Herceptin only every 3 weeks until 12/28/12 Radiation (28 rads) began 6/26/2012.
Will start Femara after radiation ends (8/03/12)

"The hope for healing is not born out of a fear of death, but a love of life.This is a very good thing. When people love life more than they fear death, they come to treatment with open hands, open hearts, open eyes.When people fear death more than they love life, they are clinging and clutching and grasping."
LuckyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote