View Single Post
Old 11-12-2004, 07:55 PM   #9
Judy

I just want to say how sorry I am to hear this news. I have a daughter, an only child, and it was so difficult for her to deal with this. The most important thing she did for me was to just be there! To check in with me. My favorite thing was the day she brought me a hat..and stood in Kohl's trying to find one that didn't have seams on the inside so it wouldn't hurt my head. She said she felt like an idiot but it was my favorite hat!!!! Just be there. Tell her how much you love her. Sit quietly with her. Talk when she wants you to talk and listen when she wants to talk. Don't be afraid of her...and don't be afraid for her....just love her. I found myself being more afraid for my daughter than for myself. I knew I could handle this but I didn't know if she could. The other thing she did was buy be a beautiful journal! I loved that:-) She wanted me to be able to write my thoughts no matter what they were. It has been a God send. I don't know how computer saavy she is so...do research IF she wants you to. Some people don't want to know anything about what is happening (and that is their right!) and others (like me) want to know everything. Which ever way she is, support that! This site and www.breastcancer.org are wonderful places to get support...and information! Good luck on your journey...you're about to learn a lot about yourself and a lot about your mom!