View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 12:45 AM   #23
Jedrik

Re: lingering side effects after finishing herceptin

I had my eleventh infusion of herceptin yesterday, that is the fifth without any chemotherapeutic agent. I take no other medication.

I have noticed increased neuropathy in the last couple of weeks, mostly in the lower extremeties, but every now a tingling like after hyperventilation all over my body. Especially after cycling a lot hurting legs and feet kept me from sleeping. Last night was the first night those tingling legs kept me awake for quite a while without me doing anything to provoke it. So I guess this will get worse before I'm through. Right now my whole body is tingling.

My shin and feet muscles cramp easily (which they never did before chemo) and about the first week after infusion the lower legs swell with water retention.

My nose is always clooged and sore and will drip readily in cold, after a cold drink and sometimes after a meal (which is really weird).

The skin under my heels and next to the corners of my thumb nails breaks again and again and again which is quite painful at times. The skin between my labia gets sore the first week after infusion, too.

My hair does not really grow. Nearly four month after last chemo it is not more than a short pelt: It covers my head, but it is very short, and soft, and has no volume. This might be a lingering or lasting effect from the taxotere, but I don't really think so (which might be wishful thinking, as that might not be reversible).

My nails grow at snails pace, too. There are still quite noticable blackened bits from chemo. I guess it might take them two more month until they will be grown out and the new growth appears to be quite a bit thinner.

Some of those gastric side effects are probably due to herceptin, too. Especially the first couple of days I feel a bit queasy, forever hungry, and I need to burp a lot.

Recovery from sports and healing of wounds and bruises is seriously delayed.
start 10/19/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)
Targeted Therapy start 10/19/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab), Perjeta (pertuzumab)
Surgery 02/23/2016 MX Left, PMX Right
Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote