View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
jacqueline1102

Subcute Herceptin

Hello everyone,

I received my first subcutaneous Herceptin today. The total time of admininstering the shot was 3 minutes 20 seconds. Easy peasy. I happen to be the first patient to receive subcute H at my cancer treatment center. The nurse were pretty excited to administer it. I joked about being happy to be their test subject. There was an initial sting when going in but that was it.

Please ask your cancer center about obtaining the Subcute H if Herceptin is the only cancer medication you have to take. There is no subcute perjeta or kadcyla at this point in time. But who knows what the future will bring. Europe and Australia has had subcute H for some time. Finally, the USA now has access. I am thankful for my health insurance.

Total time from calling me back from the waiting lobby to leaving my room was 35 minutes. The long wait to receive my infusion certainly impacted my mood. Whereas, I felt grateful to have access to the medication that is keeping my metastatic disease in check, waiting for 2-3 hours every three weeks for the medicaiton to be mixed, labs to be drawn, and for the medication to be pumped through my port was impacting my mood more than I was willing to admit. You don't know how sad you feel until you feel a moment of lightness.

Who knew I would leave the cancer center today kicking up my heels. Woo hoo.

Have a good day all. I wish peace for all of us.

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant

Last edited by jacqueline1102; 08-09-2019 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add some more.
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote