View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 04:31 AM   #11
Lala

In general I have to agree a healthy diet is important.
I have been on Tykerb since March and I ended up in the hospital having to seek care because of the diarrhea. I learned there are different grades of the diarrhea side effects with Tykerb. Diarrhea can be very dangerous as I found out; it can lower your eltrolytes and potassium levels can be affected. This is why drinking something like Pedialyte or another oral eltrolyte maintenance solution is also important. You need to replace the balance in your body. I would add if you have several bouts of diarrhea a day or every few hours its time to stop. You need to restore the balance in your body prior to restarting the drug usually at a lower dose.

In my case I can not have too much fiber or it will cause me to have diarrhea. So I stick to the diet plan that was given to me by MD Anderson. I am able to purchase organic white pastas and breads in addition to all of my foods. I still eat a well balanced diet but I must include the starches in order to prevent the diarrhea from reappearing.

As we are all different consult with your doctor as to the best plan for you. Taking Tykerb should not be so difficult if you have the right diet it is very tolerable.
Lala is offline   Reply With Quote