View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
Juls

Re: CT scan vs PET scan

Hi Tiffany
Just reading your post. I've often wondered about the difference between Ct & Pet scans.
We only get offered Ct (or if required MRI) here. Thought one reason was that they were not widely available. So thought I'd look up hospitals that have Pet scans in Scotland. Well - what a surprise - only 2 listed and 1 is in the hospital I attend! They kept that quiet!!
Mind you, not sure if I want to know any more at the moment!
The private hospital I went to for Ct's last year had just installed a new CT scanner that they said was accurate to a few mm's. Didn't help me much - they missed bone met for a year over 4 CT's! Recent scans have been in a much older machine. If I get on this new trial I will be sent back to private hospital again. Maybe I should ask for a pet scan if they suggest MRI. (Not keen on MRI after my experience a few years ago. )

Also just read that when scanned - position ( wider or narrower slices) never exactly the same from ct to ct & it can make things look bigger or smaller. So much for accuracy!

Re the cost here - on average £900 for Pet and £500 for CT. MRI about £475 privately.
This surprises me - thought MRI the most expensive!

Geez - the things you find out!!

Juls
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote