View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: how long is too long to wait for a trial?

In Aug. '98 when my 4th stage invasive lobular carcinoma was discovered to have spread throughout my liver, I asked to be tested for HER2. I'd been reading about it. It was still in clinical trials. But there was talk that it was going to be fast tracked by the FDA out of trials and made available for metastatic patients.

They tested HER2 ONLY in Cali by UCLA, where Dr. Dennis Slamon was. They lost my tumor tissue. I called the onc's office numerous X and the hosp. I drove to the hosp and was directed to the Pathology Dept in the basement of North Shore Hosp on Long Island. I found a woman working there. She was aware of my situation and swore she would find that sample that day and take it to the Fed Ex office herself to send it to Cali. I was pushy, but desperate, and perfectly ladylike. She saw a person, I was not just a voice on the phone. She felt motivated. And she did as she promised and her sent her a beautiful card full of my gratitude. She had called me to assure me.

I lived in NY (mostly) and in Fla. I sent all my test results to my Fla onc. My fav onc. He called me at home. HAVE YOU STARTED CHEMO YET???
No. And I explained why. He said, in the last 2 wks the tumors throughout your liver have grown and are spreading even more. YOU MUST START CHEMO NOW.

Don't worry about HER2 and Herceptin! Start on the chemo. In 8 wks we'll test you again to make sure the Taxotere is working. YOU HAVE TO START CHEMO.

I knew this onc since 1995. He was NOT an alarmist. If he took the time to call me (unbidden) and speak in ALL CAPS with !!!!!!!!! I called right away.

Herceptin was made available on Sept 28, 1998. I began Herceptin, among the the first to avail themselves of the drug, in November of '98.

Are any of your oncs reporting to you what's going on with your tumor(s)??? They should be. Only 1 (my Fla onc) called me and sped me up and revved me up and motivated me to get on chemo.

So, in turn, that's what I'm doing with you VDC.

You know that's what cancer does, it keeps multiplying, growing, spreading with every hour of every day. You can't afford to do nothing. No one knows when you or anyone will be able to avail yourself of the immunotherapy trial. No one knows if it works on someone with active cancer. I have seen it fail with active cancer. In fact worsen the situation. In the interim of stopping all tx, the cancer grew and spread and couldn't be caught. It was out of control. I don't want that to happen to you or anyone else.

It seems now is not the time to worry about the trial but to start chemo!

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be pushy, or scare you. I am trying to save your life. And I couldn't live with myself if I didn't dare to speak up.

I hope you aren't offended or turned off. I am acting out of love for a Sister I don't even know. I've been around (20 yrs) to see similar situations (including my own). All the arrows are pointing to -- go start chemo!

Speak to your oncs. Get their opinions. Based on their readings of your reports. Why haven't they been urging you to do this?

With a hug,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote