View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
chrisy

Hi Amy

I have input to your questions, but first let me say do not lose heart. Many women on this forum are doing well years after liver mets diagnosis. I don't know if this is your mom's first recurrence, it would help if you can provide more info.

The FDA approved indication for Tykerb is metastatic disease that is not responding to Herceptin. I can't tell from your post, but if this is your mom's first time on herceptin, that may be the basis for the denial - that it hasn't "failed". So the standard would be to try Herceptin first, then if it doesn't work, move on to Tykerb. Herceptin is a wonderful drug and could slap down those liver mets very effectively.

There's not much data re Tykerb+ Herceptin used together, so that is an unproven combination and I'm curious as to why that is being recommended. Or his he recommending Tykerb instead of Herceptin? If there's a reason, the insurance co's decision could be challenged.

That said, Herceptin and Carbo is a good combination (although usually I see it with a taxane either Taxol or Taxotere), and with Tamoxifen she's hitting lots of targets - that's good. You want to strike a balance between hitting the cancer hard and minimizing toxicity to your mom.

There is no generic version of Tykerb, but the scientific name is lapatanib.

Good luck, keep us posted.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote