View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #11
1rarebird

Re: Broccoli Sprouts -- Tanya

Holly--

I certainly do not know whether it is good to eat more or less than normal amounts of the cruciferous vegtables (brocolli, sprouts, cauliflow, cabbage, etc.) I suspect that it depends on whether a person is actively undergoing treatments with drugs to fight their cancer.

As noted in my last post above, I have read at the link I gave that sulforaphane is the compound in these vegetables that is believed to affect the cellular morphology of the cancer, e.g. primarily stem cells. I think that sulforaphane impacts liver enzymes crucial to the proper metabolization of some of the cancer drugs; so it may be that caution should be taken when considering increasing the amount of sulforaphane in the diet.

The best course of action is probably to discuss this thoroughly with your oncologist before beginning a regimen that significantly increases your dietary intake of these vegetables. Now, for people who have completed their pharmacological assault on their cancer, it may be that increasing the amount of the vegetables is good thing. I just haven't read a definitive study on this matter to answer these questions sufficiently for me.

Good luck to you.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote