View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #20
TanyaRD

Re: Plant-based olive oil diet (Mary Flynn Ph.D.)

Jackie,
Thanks for posting this excellent article. Its content sounds like the mantra of my career! I believe in the benefits of low fat diets-wholeheartedly. I agree that they have been demonized in the media, which unfortunately has carried over into some of the medical world. I have been a big advocate of low fat diets especially since the release of the WINS results which demonstrated a significant decreased in breast cancer recurrence. As I mentioned before, Mary Flynn's research is very early and I cannot change my recommendations based on her research at this point. However, I have to admit that I am intrigued by the reseach. The type of fat used in her research is of course the same type of monounsaturated fats recommended from WINS (and in most other arenas of nutrition). I am interested to know what % fat was used in Flynn's research (maybe it is in there but I don't recall). I don't believe we will ever find benefit to a high fat diet no matter the source of the fat.

I did hear back from Dr. Flynn and she would be willing to do a teleconference so I will work on getting that arranged.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote