View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #21
Becky

Jen

I think you are right - about time to randomization except for one thing. I do personally know 2 women who participated in the Herceptin trial at my cancer center (I opted not to and can tell you why if interested).

These ladies were randomized after the 4 AC treatments. When they showed up for their first weekly taxol that's when they found out if it was taxol alone or taxol with Herceptin (both were randomized to the arm without Herceptin). I met these gals while getting Herceptin and found out everything about the trial and being in the trial because I was on my 3rd weekly Herceptin (started asap after ASCO 2005 when I was 4 1/2 months from my last chemo) but they were both on their 9th weekly. After asking how can this be - I jumped so fast to start as soon as I heard - they commented that since they were on the trial, they were given the option to start Herceptin (if they wanted it) sometime around April 20, 2005 when Genentech made a public announcement. Both ladies were about 7-8 months from their last chemo (but for this group of women, being 6 months or less from the last chemo did not matter).

So, randomization started 12 weeks after the beginning of AC (remember the trial used AC every 3 weeks and not the dense dose regime used now).

Best regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote