Thread: The good week
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Becky

Re: The good week

Hi Skip

I'm glad your wife is doing better and that you know when the good periods will be (then you know when you will be able to do things and know she will be feeling okay).

Lymphedema is a difficult thing to figure out. Statistics say that about 25% of breast cancer women will get some form of this (from the removal of the lymph nodes). It is not associated with the amount of nodes removed so it does not matter if only one node was removed or 40, you are at risk.

Of course, that said, none of us know which of us might have a problem. The best thing to do is be cautious. Air flight could be a problem. Many on this board know that I am flying 6-8 flights per month for work so this was a huge concern for me. I did get a sleeve and a glove too. They need to be replaced yearly and I did get them replaced. Then oddly, I forgot to bring the sleeves to the airport a couple of times. Nothing happened so I started experimenting and now I don't wear the compression sleeve/glove. The longest I've gone (flight wise) is to California (live in NJ so about 5 1/2 hr flight). I do think if I ever have to go internationally (like Hong Kong or China) where I am in the air 15+ hours, I think I will wear them just to be save.

Other things to consider - repetitive movements, weight lifting etc - work up to weights slowly and take a break if vaccuming a large home (I am a right handed, right side gal). Log onto the lymphedema network site online.

Loads of information. Also, you wife should never get a needle in that arm or have blood pressure taken on that arm either.

Have a great weekend.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote