View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #19
agness

Re: Vitamin D Testing Frequency

Some interesting things I have noted in researching about vitamin D.

Our bodies need magnesium in order to activate vitamin D for use in the body. This goes for sunlight or even D2 or D3.

Taking extra vitamin D might not be good if you have other calcium and electrolyte disturbances in your system. Your body may lower your vitsmin D levels to counteract hypercalcaemia in the blood and boosting vit D levels might cause more wasting of bone.

Low magnesium levels affect the parathyroid glands, the main calcium regulation glands in the body. Cancer patients are typically dysregulated in magnesium but even with all the blood tests we get it isn't often tested. An RBC magnesium level is more accurate if stores in the body but like many nutrients in the body, the range is boosted up to help keep the body in homeostasis. A lowered serum level is associated with low stores -- I saw this happen in my own body and this was after monitoring my magnesium throughout treatment by my naturopathic oncologist and researching me this's to improve magnesium absorption in my body for a year. If your serum is low you are low.

Now for my totally crazy finding, resistant starch improves magnesium and affects vitamin D absorption in the gut. Resistant starch means the body doesn't fifest it for use in the body but your gut flora does use it -- it's about feeding good stuff to your microbiota. Resistant starch can be found in potatoes, corn, wheat flour, acorn flour -- but the trick is you have to eat it cold. You can take a spoonful of Bob's Redmill potato starch like I do, it won't throw your blood sugar and it only tastes faintly of potatoes, or if you aren't on a special diet try adding in 1/2 potato worth of potato salad or the equivalent of cold pasta salad or maybe cold polenta (dotorimuk anyone?) into your diet. Read more:

http://www.vegetablepharm.blogspot.c...ge_31.html?m=1
  • 10/27/15 atypical uptake in right cerebellum - inflammation?
  • 12/1/15 Leptomeningeal dx. Starting IT Herceptin.
  • 1/16 - 16 fractions of tomotherapy to cerebellum, break of IT Herceptin during rads, resume at 100 mg weekly
  • 3/2016 - stable scan
  • 5/2016 stable scan
  • 7/2016 pseudoprogression?
  • 9/2016 more LM, start new chemo protocol and IV therapy treatment with HBOT
  • 11/2016 Cyberknife to temporal lobe, HBOT just prior
  • 12/2016 - lesions starting to show shrinkage
  • 8/2017 - Stable since Dec 2016. Temporal lobe lesion gone.
  • Using TCM, naturopathic oncology, physical therapy, chiro, massage, medical qigong, and energetic healing modalities in tandem. Stops at nothing.
  • Mother of 2 boys - ages 7 and 10 (8/2017) and a lovely partner with lots to live for.
agness is offline   Reply With Quote