View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #18
donocco

Re: Ever Expanding Waist line

Juls

I agree with you about the money thing. There are things Im hesitant to say. There is a drug called Movantik. Im pretty sure that is the drug. Whatever the name, its use is in constipation induced by using opioids for pain. Of course opioids are Morphine,
Dilaudid etc.

Cancer can be a painful disease and opioids are appropriately used. No person using these drugs for severe pain gets addicted in the true meaning of the word.

The worst side effect of say Oxycontin is the severe constipation. The word constipation may seem like a joke word to some people but the suffering induced by constipation in cancer patients on long term Opiate therapy is far from a laughing matter.

So now we have Movantik, a God- send for cancer patients
on chronic Morphine. Not so fast. The FDA approval specifically states Movantik is FDA approved for non cancer induced opiate constipation. Why on earth would the FDA specifically say "non cancer" when its the cancer patients who need the medicne the most.

I think I know, but Im not going to write a book on this. Ill give you one fact. Obviously the clause "for non cancer opiate induced
constipation is going to save the insurance companies a lot of money. So the question becomes "If this is true (and it is, if you have cancer and have Morphine indued constipation, the insurance company wont pay for Movantiks use saying in the rejection letter " It has been FDA approved only for non cancer Morphine induced constipation.

The question becomes why is the FDA concerned about the finances of the Health Insurance Companies? Ill let someone else answer.

Getting back to Aspirin, 81mg a day, talk with your Oncologist. In theory it could be useful as the Cyclo-oxygenase enzyme is very active in cancer. It may do some good and is unlikely to do harm as long as you are under a doctors care.

Paul

PS I believe in Europe Movantik is being used to treat opiate induced constipation. The FDAs limited approval makes no logical sense unless you are thinking less about patient care and more about money that isnt even yours.
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote