View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
jacqueline1102

Re: Abraxane VS Taxotere ?

Hi Kim,

I have some thoughts about your request. Ask your oncologist about Perjeta. This was a new drug approved by the FDA on June 8, 2012. It is prescribed in what is termed "first line protocol" but in some cases I have learned that the oncologist can prescribe it off-line. I am currently taking Herceptin and Perjeta together and it is quite tolerable. I am able to work fulltime, exercise, and have a decent amount of energy. The pamphlet with Perjeta may also recommend Perjeta, Herceptin, and Taxotere. The nurses are not familiar with Perjeta yet so they may staunchly say the "pamphlet says you have to take Perjeta with Taxotere." NOT true. My oncologist prescribed the Perjeta without the gnarly Taxotere. But the oncologist can factor out the Taxotere if he/she thinks that is advisable. If you can get by with it, just take the Herceptin and Perjeta to tackle those liver mets.

I have done quite a bit of research and it does seem that Abraxane is easier to tolerate with less side effects. So, if you absolutely have to do some kind of ax, then Abraxane is easier to tolerate but I have not had any personal experience with that. Good luck with all this.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me anytime.

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote