View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Nancy L

Re: bladder dysfunction may be associated with herceptin use--anyone with symptoms?

Mary L---Congrats on being NED for 3 yrs!

I must admit, it is often difficult for me to determine which drug caused a problem. For example, I didn't find out until four years out that Taxotere was the reason I didn't get my hair back (1-3% of women experience this nasty surprise). The four years I was on Herceptin only, I experienced fatigue, red tearing eyes, peeling nails, incontinence and a constant runny nose. I have been on Herceptin plus Tykerb for 21 months. Most troubling new side effects are chronic diarrhea and rash.

I also have a severe case of vaginal atrophy and the docs won't give me anything to help even though I am estrogen receptor negative. Glad to finally know Herceptin may be the culprit. I always figured is was the AC. My experience has been that the oncology community doesn't really want to talk about quality of life issues. The attitude here in California is as long as you are still alive and a side effect doesn't keep you from getting treated, you should be grateful.

Managing the side effects of BC is a challenge and sometimes I get depressed. The list of things I have had to give up (including sex and my hair) because of this disease is long. But then again, if I hadn't taken Herceptin I wouldn't be around to even think about it.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote