View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #168
Grace

I've been working on that one for a while, i.e. "Why is it that the docs seem to be in such denial over these things?" I know mine is, and although I like him, it's extremely annoying when he or his nurse gives me "the look!" Before cancer, I hadn't been near a doctor in five years so I certainly know I'm no hypochondriac. So, my theory is this.

If they acknowledge all our complaints about Herceptin side effects, they might have to reconsider recommending it as a treatment, particularly for women who have Stage 1 cancers. Since many of those who recommend herceptin to early stagers believe it may be saving lives, it's probably easier to just discount what they think are minor ailments. I could understand that. However, the reason I find it annoying is that although I know that some of my complaints are minor, I want them recorded somewhere so the next woman who says she's having these side effects will feel validated. And also, some of these effects may have serious long-term consequences and if the doctors and drug manufacturers are not aware of them, how can they track them in some meaningful way.

Anyway, that's the only theory I've come up with to date. Anyone else out there?