View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Why i take supplements

This is an amazingly great link, Elaine...! Thanks for sharing.

I know the importance of selenium (which is included in my RM-10 mushroom blend immune booster). So that's 1 pill I can skip. I think 200 mg is what Dr. Andrew Weill recommends on the selenium.

So glad you had your B-12 level checked. I do this periodically along w/Vit D. I have to request that my docs include those among my blood orders.

Your article speaks of the enormous control we as individuals have within our grasp!! EMPOWERING, RIGHT?!!!

That's how I feel about my supplements. (With IBS issues since chemo, there are many foods I cannot tolerate (digestively speaking). So I can't rely on diet alone. And the large portions of fruits and veggies we are supposed to ingest a day is not so easy even for those who enjoy and can eat them. Again, the supplements supplement my diet. Sounds funny, I know...

I take 1 baby aspirin every night. Very important! (I take a whole one on Sundays.) Guards against stroke too.

I take Green Coffee Bean Extract cause I don't drink coffee (don't even like coffee ice cream!) and I know how important it is to our lives, medically speaking. It lengthens our lives, AND it helps fight against cancer.

I take Resveratrol and Green Tea. I have Lycopenes in my Phyto Formula for my chronic fatigue (w/OJ). I take 10,000 Vit D 5 days a wk and still register in the low end of the normal range. As we age, our bodies' demand for D increases. Our organs need help to function well.

I am missing a few, but I think I can't swallow one more pill -- CAPSULE/SOFT GELS O N L Y...

I do not take soy though I did at one time take soy insoflavones. My nut onc (nutritional oncologist) in NY told me to only take natural soy, no powders or pills. My hot flashes at the time were so drenching horrid, I swear if they sold Estrogen in the vitamin store I would have bought it. (I was on hormone replacement therapy for a very very short period of time, trying to stop menstrual bleeding that was more like hemoraghing (no idea how to spell that!). I am post menopause now. But the hotness continued. The evening primrose oil seems to be controlling it now, after 27 yrs of flashing...

Elaine, and those interested -- I found the following:

Henry Dreher | Omega

I see a 212 - 228 - 0322 phone # on line for Henry Dreher.

Also -- www.henrydreher.com

AND -- came upon --

Naturopathic Medicine for Cancer Treatment | CTCA

HERE'S TO HEALTH & WELLNESS. I'm sipping wine while typing... )

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote