View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
Jean

Topo2a positive or negative...

Lizbeth, I understand your frustration on the delay in new testing being available. It seems it takes time for new testing to take a hold. This reminds me of the Oncotype DX testing for those who were on the fence with having chemo and it took a long time before centers began using the test...just a short while back many onc. said it was not standard care of treatment.

When I saw Dr. Slamon he insisted that I have the topo2a test prior to making any decison on chemo.
Because, if topo2a positive than A/C would be okay to go with, if negative (and I was neg.) A/C would not have benefit for me. Dr. Slamon was the only one at the time 2006 to offer the test. Most dr. did not even know about it and those who did (even now) do not use it.

Last year at the BCS Becky and I went to a lecture that Dr. Slamon was giving and I will share that the topo2a
was a much heated topic. Dr. Slamon has been saying for the last few years that the topo2a should be tested before making a treatment decison. Yes, he does favor
TCH .....since the trials proved to be desirable.

Why does it take so long? I can only answer when it comes to Dr. Slamon, long before the FDA approved
herceptin to ALL her2 women (remember early stagers)
were not approved and had to fight for it and get it off label and pray the insurance would cover the cost.
Dr. Slamon was saying...."All Her2 women should be given herceptin" how many did not agree with him.
Shocking isn't it? I am thinking it is the same with the topo2 ...and in a year or maybe two we will be reading
how topo2 is routine. Very frustrating...

Just recently I posted a medical article stating how STILL some women are NOT tested for HER2, can you believe that?

I want to know why testing for HER2 is not routine
on DCIS?

I hope this information helps.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 10-26-2008 at 11:31 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote