View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #22
Lisalou

Re: Cognitive Rehabilitation

Thanks you Rhondalea for starting this post and AA for the prompt. This has been on my mind a lot lately and I have thought about posting or starting a thread and it felt like a lot of energy just to formulate all my thoughts.
I have definitely lost a lot of executive functions that are critical to doing my job effectively. I did some searching regarding chemo brain and found the Alzheimer’s meds being used, which Rhondalea you mention having used. I also found use for medications for ADHA have been shown to be helpful as well. Had a long discussion with my Onc about this, she is a BC survivor as well, and also experienced loss of executive function that was regained over a couple of years. For me we decided to tackle the issue of sleep, I have not had more than 6 hours of sleep per night, and sometimes less than 3 since starting Tamoxifen. So we decided to deal with the hot flashes to help improve sleep and see if that helps. I am taking Effexor and it is helping but still early to tell. Feeling in a bit of a fog today. Some days I feel able to focus and can accomplish a lot. Other days it is truly a struggle to complete any work.
On a very concerning note, which I think many of us worry about is how much is permanent how much can I regain, and what is the risk for continued loss. A friend had total brain fog from Tamoxifen, unable to converse and became deeply depressed, just wanted to sleep. The Tamoxifen was stopped and the brain fog cleared totally within a few days. She was switched to Raloxifene, and did OK. In addition to someone else who had chemo brain and is now in full blown dementia.
Dx 1/2/2014 IDC ER/PR+
1/10/14 HER2 +
2/14/14 BRCA results negative
2/17/2014 skin & nipple sparing BMX with reconstruction Tissue expanders placed
IDC Stage 2A left breast. 9mm tumor no other CA 1/4 nodes positive
ER + PR + Her2 +(by FISH)
Right breast no cancer, sclerosing adenosis
3/13/14 Round 1 AC minimal side effects
3/27/14 Round 2 AC
4/10/14 Round 3 a little more nausea
4/24/14 round 4 hurray! Done with phase 1!
5/8/14 THP ( taxol weekly x12, Herceptin & perjeta every 3 weeks x 4)
7/24/14 done with chemo
Continue of Herceptin every 3 wks x 1 yr
5/14 start Tamoxifen x 5 years
8/18/14 removal of TEs silicone implants placed
9/14/14 Cellulitis Right Breast, suspect infected implant. Managed with Oral antibiotics, avoided surgery to remove implant. Whew!
12/17/14 nip & tuck revision of Left breast

We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face. The danger lies in refusing to face the fear, not in daring to come to grips with it. We must do that which we think we cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt
Lisalou is offline   Reply With Quote