View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Debbie,

Because of my broad family history (including ovarian cancer), when I searched for and found a clinical trial for early detection, as part of that clinical trial I was offered free genetic counseling. Even though the first counselor generally advised me that I should have BRCA testing I wasn't convinced, so I put it off. Three years later I saw an onc who specialized in both bc and genetics, and she too felt I should be tested for BRCA. I raised the same question you did about HER2, since I think it is cheaper to have just one of the 2 tested. Both she and the second genetics counselor she referred me to felt both should be tested, even though it is far less common for HER2s to be BRCA1 positive. The other comment I have to offer here is that I learned that it is possible for a person to be both BRCA1 and BRCA2 positive (although unlikely).

I tested negative, but the results by Myriad state that as newer "BRCA's" are discovered they would notify me of any relevance to me. I would love to hear it if anyone has been tested negative and has ever been contacted by Myriad subsequently about a newer possible positive result... After all, it is a $3,000 test in the US that as I understand it is free (or close to it) in Europe due to differences in the laws here and over there.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote