Thread: Food column
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 AM   #15
madubois63

I changed my mind about what to eat for dinner last night....My daughter loves salmon and my son loves coconut shrimp. She hates coconut and he hates fish...I love both. The coconut shrimp is the easiest...First, dip the shrimp in whole wheat flour (rice flour works too) , then dip in egg/milk mixture. I use organic coconut and whole wheat bread crumbs - mostly coconut. For a pound of jumbo shrimp. I use about 2 cups coconut and 1/4 cup bread crumbs. You can bake them, but they are much better fried and cook very quickly. I only use 1/4 inch of oil in the pan. Canola oil tastes better than olive. I find the olive is too heavy for the shrimp. My son loves them plain, I like a dipping sauce. I use (hot) sugar free orange marmalade or sometimes I make an ambrosia to dip them in. I made a batch for my birthday and they didn't even make it to the table. Everyone was eating them as I took them out of the pan!!

The salmon is easy too. I chop up garlic, onions, scallions, zuccini and green and/or red peppers. Saute in a large skillet with a dash of oil. Add teriyaki sauce (about 1/4 cup depending on how much fish/veggies your making) and 2 tablespoons honey. I like fresh ground pepper - no salt is needed because of the teriyaki sauce. Put salmon fillets in pan and cover. Cook until vegies are tender to your liking and fish falls apart easily (10 - 15 minutes).
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote