View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #27
Jean

Re: trends that weight management is going to be important in treating HER2-positive

Debbie,
Well said and placed. In today's society the portions that are generally served are huge. Enough for two people.
The battle does not have to be a battle...I think often times the idea of dieting is a nightmare.

I found that just eating normal portions works. Pushing back the plate. It's not only what you eat but how much.
Growing up in a home where my Mother was a wonderful cook - she would prepare wholesome meals that were mostly fresh veggies and fish, lean meats. Fruit and nuts were our desert. So it was easy for me when I went off to college and did not gain the freshman 15 pds. I was rather shocked at what students ate...pure junk food and it continues. When I would visit my son I was shocked with all the updated information and technology the poor food choices being made.

Also so much is pressed upon us to exercise. I say keep it simple - if you can't make it to a gym, so walk and walk some more. Park the car far away from where you are going and walk. It is amazing what you can fit into a normal day with out making the gym.

While it does become more challenging as we age
(I clearly see the difference these last few years) it's a matter of going the extra mile. My Aunt who 97 broke her hip during the holidays and my first thought was - this is very bad - she was up and walking in 3 days after surgery - the lady is going strong. Her mind is strong and talk about a survivor...that generation expected so much less and had less - but eat well. Keep meals simple and eat as fresh as possible.

Best Wishes,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo