View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
Lani

Re: List Of Breast Cancer Cell Lines

It seems cell lines used in research are supposed to be tested frequently to be certain they really still are what they are supposed to be ie, if conditions are not kept perfectly or contamination occurs or some other evolutionary force causes changes in the cells or selection of a subclone (not supposed to happen but...??) the ER, PR and her2 status can change

I even read of a cell line used for years as a breast cancer cell line which turned out to be a melanoma cell line.

As far as my reading has determined MCF-7 remains a her2 cell line unless purposely transfected with her2, in which case the /her-2 will be added to its name. 231 was always her2- (it was 361 I listed) I will check 453 again, but as I remember it remains her2+ unless it has been treated continuously with an antiher2 agent to the point that it has become her2-).

The person to check this all out with would probably be Joe Gray, who moved from Lawrence Livermore/UC Berkeley to the University of Oregon @ Eugene recently to head up a high technology enterprise screening various drugs against various bc cell lines. He has the list of/ possesion of the most breast cancer cell lines I have heard of. He is also one of the chief investigators of the I-Spy trial.

Good luck.

Would you like to let us know what you plan to do with your panel of cell lines and where you hope to get them from? There are several ladies here who regularly attend breast cancer conferences and are quite fluent/ used to
the "gobbledygook" Rhonda referred to in her post to this thread in 2007.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote