View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #7
sarah

Re: radiation induced heart attack, blocked arteries

Thanks Caya and Becky.
Becky, my cancer was on the right side but because it was a recurrence and the biopsy showed unclear margins over the sternum, I was given heavy radiation from the right armpit to the edge of the left breast, therefore covering the heart arteries and some (maybe all) of the heart. I actually always worried about getting esophageal cancer from the radiation.
If I'd known heart issues from the radiation could happen, I might have reacted sooner to my chest pain and breatlessness in the cold weather. that's why I thought it was important to mention it so others don't put it off, because we all get fed up with treatment and tests and seeing doctors but.....
I had my radiation in 2004 (so 7 years later) and since 2004 had slight breathing problems going up hill but it was last winter that it was obvious it needed treatment. I'd had FEVs (heart sonograms) every 3 months through the 6 years (2004-2010) of Herceptin and no problems with them and then a lung test for the breathing problem plus other sonograms, a pet scan and x-rays looking for cancer but nothing showed up until the heart scintigraphy and the coronaroscopy.
feeling better every day and better than another recurrence!
health and happiness
sarah