Thread: Dietary Fats
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
TanyaRD

Re: Introduction

Hi Sandra. There was a large randomized clinical trial called the Women's Interventional Nutrition Study (WINS) that was done a couple of years ago. The results were very encouraging. The study participants followed a diet that provided 20% of calories from fat vs the general 30-40% typically eaten. They found a significant decrease in recurrence rates up to 24%. The benefit was especially significant for women with ER- breast cancer but benefit was also seen in those with ER+ disease. You can figure out your recommended fat grams by taking your weight and dividing by 6. (i.e. 165#/6=27g fat) The fat that is consumed in this eating plan should be "good" fats such as those found in olive oil, nuts, seeds, fish, etc. You will find that you eat fewer animal products due to the limitation in dietary fat but they don't have to be totally eliminated to achieve this level. You will also significantly increase fruit and vegetable intake for satiety which in turn has excellent benefit due to fiber and antioxidants. Of course, you always need to discuss any major dietary/lifestyle changes with your team of health care professionals to be sure the change is safe for your particular situation. I hope this helps to answer your question and let me know if you need any further questions or comments.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote