View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 03:28 AM   #6
Christine MH

Hi Bruce,

I haven't talked to my oncologist about this, since I have completed treatment for primary BC and am just trying to keep the thing from coming back. I only see him every few months.

I did a bit of research on oleic acid and olive oil in general. The only downside I could find in Pubmed was that diets high in oleic acid have been linked to an increased risk of adult asthma. On the other hand, two tablespoons of olive oil a day seem to benefit the heart by lowering bad lipids and raising good ones and heart problems are undoubtedly a bigger risk. As long as the olive oil replaces other fats rather than being added to them, the heart doctors seem to think it is ok.

Personally, one of the questions I had was whether any possible adulteration of olive oil might make a difference to the oleic acid level. Currently more stuff sold as "olive oil" is consumed internationally than is produced. The most common substance used in adulteration is hazelnut oil, which is much cheaper and virtually impossible to detect. The Spanish olive oil industry is offering a reward to the first scientist who can develop a test for detecting hazelnut oil in olive oil. Fortunately, part of the reason that hazelnut is difficult to detect is that it contains a very similar composition of fatty acids, including similar amounts of oleic acid. Other oils can be used as adulterants, but only at very low levels of concentration. So hazelnut oil wouldn't have all the polyphenols of olive oil that are believed to be beneficial, but if oleic acid is the key for HER2, it shouldn't cause problems.