View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
Lizard

Re: Herceptin/MUGA Scan

I got a baseline MUGA before beginning my chemo (4 ACs every other week). Then another MUGA after I finished AC (to see the impact of the cardiotoxic Adrimyocin) before beginning 12 weekly Taxol/Herceptin doses.

I was also under the impression that I was going to get a follow up MUGA after I finished my weekly Taxol/Herceptin to see the impact Herceptin had on my heart. To me it would only make sense measure against something that had already been taken.

But then my oncologist surprised me with an order for an echocardiogram instead, which he assured was just as good as a MUGA and told more information. I asked 2 radiologists what the difference was and both assured me that you could measure the contraction of the left ventricle ejection fraction in the echo against the same in the previous MUGAs IF you can get a good image in the Echo. I was told by one radiologist that getting a good image from an echo is sometimes difficult if the patient is obese, which doesn't impede MUGAs.

All finished with, "and it's cheaper" (the echo), so I'm wondering if it boils down to avoiding arguments with insurers. My guess is that if 2 mugas show above 50, then the insurance agencies start pressuring doctors to switch to the cheaper version.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote