View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Sandy H

Gayle, sorry you had to come to this board but we are happy you found it. I did the bil for a few reasons. 1. I was a DD cup-didn't want to match it. 2. I felt, I was a high risk of it reocurring in the other breast-if it wasn't already there. 3. IBC is a very aggressive disease. 4. Knowing I would loose nodes on the right side I wanted to prevent that on the left-however I would not know if that would happen until surgery was completed. Needless, to say I have had a few friends who opt for the bil only to find out it was already there, in that case it would not have been found until late. 5. This disease does not always show on mammos-my breast were very dense from cystic disease- had repeated mammos each time. I had already had a hysterectomy and this was the last of my female accessories and so I was ready to give them up. After all I have said it has to be your decision. I thought, with a bil I would not need a bra! Well, because of the concave on one side from the MRM I have never gone out of my house without a bra!! Most of my friends do not realize or even remember I have no breasts. Reconstruction was not an option for me. I was told if there is a reoccurence after reconstruction it would be near the chest wall and not show up until it was in the lungs or bone. That may have changed as I know there have been some with IBC that have had reconstruction and you may hear from those. Good luck in what ever you choose to do. It was not a big decision for me being a DD. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote