Thread: Struggling
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #16
DonnaD

Hi Maureen,
I wish we were close enough to have a cup of green tea, and share a huge hug. We have all felt like a "crumbling worrying blob" at some point. You have so much to deal with right now. I haven't read your blog lately but know in the past you were and probably still are dealing with side effects of treatment. Being an only parent has to add to your concern. My surgeon put my surgery on the fast track and I knew that was a good thing. But it also scared the heck out of me. The sooner you have surgery, the sooner you can get on with the next step. I'll pray for peace for you about your decision about no reconstruction. Go with your gut feeling. It sounds like you have a wonderful onc. but ask those questions. You are a fighter. You can do this! Look how much you have already accomplished.

My treatment was 16 months from surgery until I finished Herceptin. I was terrified each time something was over, like chemo, then radiation and finally Herceptin. I felt like I was no longer fighting. Yep, those comments about being over with cancer really get to me also. Only cancer survivors understand we will never be over with cancer... but it does get better. Time and faith ease worries and fears. I am waiting for a day I don't think of cancer once. I look back now and can't understand how I did the treatment schedule. We chose to do all treatments including radiation for 6 weeks, at a large teaching hospital 110 miles away round trip. It is a memory and yours will be also!

Hug those beautiful children, watch them sleep, listen to their sweet words, hold their little fingers and laugh with them. Know that many have you surrounded by prayers. God is good
Love,
Donna
PS Well said rl2. Welcome!
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!

Last edited by DonnaD; 04-15-2009 at 04:36 AM..
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote