View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
ArmyMomLisa

Re: cost of herceptin

Yes, they are spendy. (I did the numbers on JUST the drugs...including TCH plus the Neulasta shot and total treatment came to over 273K) But when gobsmacked by such numbers, I try to remember to be thankful for insurance, and for all the research those dollars (hopefully!) represent.

Hubby's first reaction when I told him the amount was "Wow, we could've had a house!" then "but I'd rather have YOU!" :-) It's worth it. (Or that's what I say to myself in the wee hours if tempted to stress about money. Those deductibles add up too!)

I have heard of some people who skip the Neulasta shots. Mine were 8,500 each, so can see the benefit, if you and your dr. agree that your health isn't compromised by not taking it. Anyone else skip that portion of the treatment because of cost??

11/17/10 diagnosed (at age 44) after mammogram w/ 3 cm, Stage 1,Grade 3 IDC in left breast Er/Pr+, Her2+, BRCA neg.
12/14/10 lumpectomy
12/17/10 path report results show tumor larger than originally thought from MRI,
1/3/11 Bilateral mastectomy w/ immediate reconstruction (expanders - began fills 4 weeks after surg.)
2/16/11 Began 6 rounds of Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin every 3 weeks
2/18/11 to hospital w/ kidney stone! (Dr. believes from 'shock to my body' of chemo.)
6/2/11 last chemo! Continue Herceptin every 3 weeks til 2/12
6/22/11 Started Tamoxifen
7/5/11 reconstruction surg.
ArmyMomLisa is offline   Reply With Quote