Thread: The Gym
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
Bill

Ok, here's the new exercise I invented last weekend and did it again today. You must start off slow, and build your way into this. This exercise incorporates balance, flexibility and strength training. I feel that this exercise, if done properly, can benefit all of us. We should all do this several times per week. Like I said, start off slowly, and go at your own pace. Hold a weight in each hand, maybe a pound or two. Stand on one foot (and alternate legs periodically) and put the top of your other foot against the back of that knee. Get your balance, as you stand upright, and then slowly move the weights toward your feet. If you begin to lean to one side, slowly move your weighted hand outward to the opposite side to counter-balance. As you do this a few times, you will realize that your whole body is a part of this exercise and you will quickly see the benefit. It teaches balance and over-all body strength. I know that not everyone can do this, but start off slow. Just stand on one leg for a few seconds and then build from there. As we age, we are more prone to falling, so the more strength and flexibility and balance skills that we can build will help us. I held a 5 pound weight in each hand and as I lost my balance, I moved my hands around to counter-balance the "fall". Try it, you'll see what I mean. With more practice, you can't help but build total body strength and a better sense of balance. I'd like your feed-back.

Last edited by Bill; 07-18-2009 at 08:52 PM..
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote