View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Jean

Re: TCH (Taxotere,Carboplatin, Herceptin)

Ben,
It is only normal for Rachel to resist treatment. But Her2 is a nasty and aggressive form of breast cancer. I would like to share that not very long ago some of us had to fight to get treatment if we were dx. as an early stage patient. (can you believe that?) Sounds archaic now, but true. The data is not yet in for dr. to say treatment with just herceptin and forgo the TC. Her2 has a strong recurrence rate the first two years after dx. The treatment along with surgery is truly necessary. I do not know your wife's stage, her KI 67 levels or the pathology of her cancer. While the thought was a tiny tumor caught early was a safer dx. Not true, as many women who were early stage 1 - no nodes, had recurrence. We still do not why some recur and other don't. But with Her2 as a dx. it is wise to have treatment. As far as the treatment goes if you are prepared it is doable. Many of the women worked through their treatments. It is important to take all your meds, even if you feel great. Usually the treatments are accumulative in nature, like I said it is doable. The fear of the unknown is the worst part for most of us when entering treatment. I can only say that it is never as bad as we imagine it will be. For some women losing hair is major. For me I was prepared and took in stride as part of the fight. I had my wig ready to go before I had my hair cut off to make it as easy as possible. Like I said,
being prepared is half the battle. This site offers great support so feel comfortable to ask questions. You sound like a very loving and supportive husband, which is wonderful.
I Wish you and Rachel all the best.
Kind Regards,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 07-02-2013 at 09:00 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote