View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Sherryg683

Re: Milestone: Just Finished 20th Taxol (Questions for Stage IVs)

I was diagnosed in December 05, stage IV with lung mets. I started chemo, Taxotere, Herceptin and Xeloda (did all three at same time) in January. I did 4 rounds of above. After 4 rounds, my scans came back clear..NED. I was expecting to have to do at least another round but my oncologist told me there was no need to. I continued on with just Herceptin weekly for the first 2 years..having PET/CT scans every 3 months to make sure nothing showed up. My oncologist doesn't doe CEA markers. After that I moved to Herceptin every 3 weeks, which I continue now and will do indefinately. I get scans every 6 months. I never did have to do any more taxols..just herceptin.. I am 5 years out of diagnosis now...I get my scans again in January. If they are clean, I may consider doing scans yearly. My Oncologist told me that I was lucky to have "a complete response" to the initial chemo given. Do I consider that "remission". I don't know..., I just consider myself "cancer free" for the time being and just glad I'm alive and doing well. It's all just terms I guess. ..sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote