Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 04:22 AM   #5
R.B.

For me as a man looking from the outside one of the biggest issues is lack of prior waring as to potential side effects in QOL "feminintiy" issues, to enable patients to factor them into their decisions especially for those who are on treatment borderlines.

I have tried engaging with some well funded UK cancer help sites to suggest that these issues are more fully explored so people may be as informed as possible in their choices - but with little success.

The group reporting the greatest treatment disatisfaction in trials is the premenopausal group.

At a wider level oestrogen - it is important to remember it is made not only in the ovaries but in many cells bone breast fat etc. so I guess ovary removal still leaves the issue of other sources.............. So may questions.

I have had a quick search on NCBI sexuality (nothing) and fertility and DHA fats etc. There was not very much but I did find this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

1: Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003 Sep;35(9):1573-80. Related Articles, Links
Click here to read
Lessons from experimental disruption of estrous cycles and behaviors.

Wade GN, Jones JE.

Center for Neuroendocrine Studies, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA. gwade@cns.umass.edu

In female mammals reproduction is highly sensitive to the food supply. During lean times, females suspend reproductive attempts in favor of maintaining processes necessary for survival; fertility is restored once the food supply is again abundant. Nearly all aspects of reproduction are affected, including puberty, adult ovulatory cycles, and reproductive behaviors. Work with experimental animals reveals that caloric restriction inhibits release of luteinizing hormone (LH) and female sexual behavior via similar, although separate, processes. The primary metabolic event affecting LH release as well as female sexual behavior is the short-term (minute-to-minute, hour-to-hour) availability of oxidizable metabolic fuels, rather than any aspect of body size or composition (e.g., body fat content). Metabolic fuel availability is detected in the hindbrain and perhaps in peripheral tissues. Metabolic information is then transmitted synaptically from the visceral hindbrain to the forebrain effector circuits. In the forebrain, signaling via corticotropin-releasing hormone receptors appears to be crucial for inhibition of both LH secretion and female sexual behavior.

Publication Types:

* Review

PMID: 12972879 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

But if you are male and a pig cockel or turkey help is at hand (lots of trials).(below) (weak attempt humour)

At a more serious level fertility and the essential fatty acids are fundamantally entwined. For example lack of essential fats will lead to stop of the monthly cycle (above).

It is not a specific subject I have read up on, but balancing the omega threes and sixes, and ensuring adequate DHA and EPA may help at a general level.

See posts on omega threes and sixes.

Please talk to you medical advisors on dietary changes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

1: Theriogenology. 2004 Jan 15;61(2-3):537-49. Related Articles, Links
Click here to read
Effects of n-3 polyunsaturated dietary supplementation on the reproductive capacity of male turkeys.

Blesbois E, Douard V, Germain M, Boniface P, Pellet F.

Station de Recherches Avicoles, INRA, F-37380 Nouzilly, France. blesbois@tours.inra.fr

To measure the effects of dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) supplementation on the reproductive capacity of adult male turkeys in industrial flocks, the males of 22 commercial farms were fed either a standard diet or a fish oil diet enriched in n-3 PUFAs. The fatty acid composition of the spermatozoa and reproductive performance were measured throughout the reproductive period. The fish oil diet very effectively increased the percentage of n-3 fatty acids (FA) (22:5n-3 and 22:6n-3) in spermatozoa and correspondingly decreased the percentage of n-6 PUFAs (20:4-6 and 22:4n-6): the n-3/n-6 ratio in spermatozoa fatty acids were 0.04-0.07 with the standard diet and 0.32-0.4 with the fish oil diet. These changes did not affect the spermatozoa content of n-9 PUFAs, particularly of 22:3n-9 which is abundant in turkey spermatozoa (9-12% of the total fatty acids). The supplementation was effective in the middle as at the end of the reproductive period. The reproductive capacity of males was modified by the diet and the positive effect of the n-3 supplemented diet increased with age (increase in hatching rates of nearly 2 points at 48-58 weeks for males fed fish oil diet). These results indicate that an increase in the dietary ratio of n-3/n-6 PUFAs is valuable to sustain the reproductive capacity of male turkeys especially when they are getting older.

PMID: 14662150 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I posted this some while ago

The site aslo has useful material on it, with some gritty individual thought and comment.

http://www.cancerlynx.com/

Bone Dry three pawprints
Angela M. Sissons, PhD
In Memorium
August 5, 2005

BONE DRY

I'm not satisfied with the explanation.
I didn't come this far in life,
my once-fantastic sex life, to
have it stop bam!
just like that.

Why does menopause have to be
such a foolish time? Hot flashes like
angry hornets buzz inside my
head; emotional seesaws between
full moons this time, he doesn't
love me, yes he does. Oh how
can he love me when we can't make love!

It's not even a menopause I've earned.
Hormonal treatment they call it, for
systemic cancer. But its side effect
is a plunge into wasteland. What do I
do with a closet full of tampons from a
fruitful, juicy past? Tho' the cancer hit
the breast, then the lung (all north of the
equator), it's the southern state that
strangles me. Can't we make love
without pain?

I'm dry as a bone, painful and sore.
My tissues are thin, the elastic has snapped.
My doc says Oh sure, no problem use
this, and this, and this, before sex.
I did, and I did, and I did, and ouch---
what's wrong with me. Am I using it
right? Astroglide, Replenish, Lubrin and more.
Why does it hurt?

Because I'm bonedry, bone dry, dry bones.

kitten picture You are welcome to share this © article with friends, but do not forget to include the author name and web address. Permission needed to use articles on commercial and non commercial websites. Thank you.

Last edited by R.B.; 07-16-2006 at 04:25 AM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote